If you find yourself charged with a violent crime, such as assaulting someone, speak with one of our attorneys.

Assaults in North Carolina are some type of force against another person, even if very slight. If you’ve struck someone, been in a fight or had to defend yourself resulting in someone being injured, make sure you’re prepared before you arrive in court.

North Carolina has a strong self-defense law that allows you to use force to defend yourself if you believe the other person is about to use unlawful force against you.

If you’ve been charged with assaulting your own child or child abuse, chances are good that you’ve already heard from a local social worker with Child Protective Services. Those cases can often be prosecuted in domestic violence court (link to page) and they need special attention because of the long-term consequences that can result. The quicker you can involve one of our criminal defense attorneys, the better able we will be at helping you to defend the case, mitigate the consequences and restore your family’s health and well-being.

Call: (919) 883-4900

What will happen if the victim of the assault doesn’t show up to court?

If the victim doesn’t show up to court, the State of North Carolina may still decide to prosecute your case. For example, the District Attorney may call the investigating officer as a witness, may introduce photographs of injuries or testimony of other eyewitnesses.

Do I have the right to spank my child or use corporal punishment?

North Carolina gives full Constitutional rights to parents, including the right to discipline their children. However, many courts have determined that physical punishment that leaves bruises or scars is too much and can be prosecuted as child abuse. The kinds of cases are very fact-specific. The attorneys at NicholsonPham have experience in defending against

I am a caregiver of a child and I’m being investigated for an injury to a child. What are my rights?

If you are a professional working with children, whether you are a medical professional, a caregiver or a custodian, and a child in your custody has suffered an injury, we recommend that you call an attorney as soon as possible. When a child is injured, an investigation will commence that will usually result in an interview with local police and/or an investigating social worker. Having an experienced attorney on your side before those interviews take place can make a huge difference in how the case proceeds.